Grace Christian School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the safety, welfare and wellbeing of all students and expects all staff, volunteers and visitors to share this commitment.
Code of Conduct for Volunteers and Visitors
Grace Christian School values the contribution of all members of the school community in volunteering their time and effort. To assist the school in providing a safe and positive educational climate for all students, we request volunteers comply with the following guidelines:
- Volunteers/Visitors should:
- observe safe work practices which avoid unnecessary risks;
- only work according to their level of competency;
- follow reasonable safety instructions given by school staff;
- report any safety hazard or hazardous practice they observe;
- assist in implementing evacuation procedures if required;
- avoid the use of mobile phone or other devices whilst supervising students.
Respect for Others
Volunteers/Visitors should treat students, staff and other members of the school community with respect, and in particular should:
- treat everyone with courtesy, sensitivity, tact, consideration and humility;
- dress modestly and appropriately, having regard to the nature of the volunteer activity;
- assist in creating an environment free from fear, harassment, racism or exploitation;
- respect the culture, beliefs, opinions and decisions of others;
- take reasonable instruction from staff and not obstruct staff in the execution of their duties;
- avoid waste or extravagance and make proper use of the resources of the school.
- Volunteers/Visitors should use appropriate communication skills when engaging with students, staff and other members of the school community and in particular should:
- avoid swearing, blaspheming or other use of profanities;
- use non-discriminatory, respectful and non-judgmental language;
- maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality;
- respect people’s personal space;
- be aware of their own body language;
- seek advice where appropriate.
Whilst volunteering and/or on school property, volunteers/visitors must not:
- use their position to take advantage of any child or young person;
- bring harm of any kind to a student, or behave in a way which actually or apparently seeks to
- establish an inappropriate relationship with a student;
- smoke, or use, possess, or be under the influence of alcohol or illicit drugs;
- take photos or video recordings of students or staff;
- post photos or video recordings of students or staff on social media or other sites;
- discipline or reprimand a student about their behaviour.